Spread the Word
Narcolepsy needs awareness. Desperately. Most people, including doctors, are woefully misinformed about the illness. Help us spread the word by sharing my blogs, social media posts and videos. If you work for any sort of media outlet or know someone who does, I would encourage you to do a story about narcolepsy. Narcolepsy rarely receives any media attention which is often the best way to spread awareness. Information and education are powerful tools particularly for dispelling commonly held beliefs that narcolepsy is a trivial disease with a few funny and inconvenient symptoms. The more you know about narcolepsy, the less likely you are to say “you’re so lucky your son sleeps so much!” #WakeUpDylan.
Make a Donation
Every little bit counts. There are a number of ways to contribute and a variety of organizations.
The Paediatric Sleep Disorders Clinic at SickKids Hospital in Toronto, Canada is dedicated to providing comprehensive evaluation and treatment for a wide range of sleep disorder such as obstructive sleep apnea, narcolepsy, nocturnal hypoventilation in neuromuscular and genetic diseases, children in respiratory failure and sleep related behavioral problems in neuro-developmental disorders. You can make a donation to the Sleep Disorders Priorities Fund via my personal fundraising page by clicking here.
Wake up Narcolepsy is a nonprofit organization dedicated to speeding narcolepsy diagnosis through greater awareness and funding medical research to find a cure. You can make a donation to Wake Up Narcolepsy directly by clicking here.
In the alternative, you can donate via AmazonSmile and iGive by purchasing items you would normally buy and a percentage of the purchase price will automatically be donated to Wake Up Narcolepsy.
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to WUN.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know.
- Same products, same prices, same service.
- Sign-up is quick and easy.
- Shop at 1,500+ stores you already know.
- A percentage of your purchase is donated to Wake Up Narcolepsy (average 3%).
- The stores pay for it all.
- You never pay more, and sometimes you save with coupons and special deals.
- Sign-up is a snap!
Narcolepsy Network is a national patient support organization founded in 1986. They are a nonprofit organization that relies on member dues and donations to fund their basic programs. Their primary focus is to:
- Educate and inform individuals with narcolepsy about this life-long neurological sleep disorder, available treatments and symptom management so they may be empowered to achieve the highest quality of life possible;
- Provide emotional support and resources to patients, family members, and friends;
- Encourage and assist in the formation of local support groups and other support systems;
- Serve as a resource center for patients, medical providers, educators, employers, and members of the public;
- Advocate for the interests of all persons with narcolepsy;
- Promote early diagnosis, optimal treatment and scientific research;
- Increase public awareness of narcolepsy
The work of the Network goes beyond each of us who has narcolepsy. It extends to the media, governmental agencies, researchers, physicians and other health care professionals as well as to family and friends. Help us meet our goals by becoming a member or making a tax-deductible contribution today!